It has been a journey of self acceptance with my weight gain and loss journey. From time to time, there will be circumstances that would make me question if I’m doing the right thing or should I be “achieving more”.
Walking out of an appointment recently, it was suggested that the judgement of self was too high. A general checkup with a kind and warm doctor suggests that perhaps I have too much on my plate. I laughed. In case you are wondering, my physical health is great! Doc was more concerned about the level of expectations I have.
I laughed because deep down I have a fighter voice that query “is it enough” and “what could be better”. There is a certain drive that carries me. As a child, I was taught that it is the effort and self- discovery that counts more so than the results.
As a parent, I wondered if I carry that towards Ash. Did I suggest that he should know more because there is always something more to learn? Or have I provided a “I recognise the effort and I am proud” vibe?
As a wife, did I ever come across as always wanting more? Have I pushed my husband more than what he is ready for OR is it because of MY own expectations, but not recognising where he wants to be and what he wants?
As someone who loves good, health and fitness, what is the point of being on the quest of “being better” because it is endless. Still, not wanting to fall into the trap of being “getting by”.
Improvement I think is never enough. It is however a fine line between the intention of improving and competition with self. At the end of the day, there is no finishing line. It is about what we do best in God’s plan for us.
I love this refreshing slice. It’s a raw slice that I have attempted 2 variations (in my quest to “perfect” this). A raspberry and a blueberry version. Personally, I like the blueberry version better. Asher thinks it is “Ice cream cake” as it is creamy and filled with natural sweetness from the berries.
- 1.5 cups of mixed nuts like almonds, cashews and walnuts
- 1/4 desiccated coconut
- 1/4 cup goji berries
- 1/4 cup of coconut oil
- 1 medjool date pitted and soaked in warm water for 5 minutes
- pinch of salt
- To make the layers
- soak 2 cups of raw cashews in warm water for 20-30 minutes
- 1.5 cups of coconut milk
- 1/4-1/2 cup of coconut oil
- Raspberry or blueberry layer
- 1 cup of frozen berries
- 2 tsp honey
- optional: 2-3 tsp of raspberry powder if you have on hand
- Lemon Layer
- 1/4 cup of lemon juice and zest
- Optional: 4-6 drops of doterra lemon essential oil
- Make base first by putting the ingredients in a food processor till they come together. Press in a line 9 by 9 inch tin.
- Drain cashews. Add cashews, coconut milk, vanilla and salt in a food processor and processed till creamy and not grainy. Scoop approximately half out.
- For the raspberry layer, add in frozen berries and honey. Blitz till well combined. Taste and adjust sweetness accordingly, Spoon onto base. Freeze.
- Wipe food processor down and add in the remaining cashew mixture with lemon juice, zest and essential oil. do the same and taste. Spoon onto berry layer. Freeze for 2 hrs or so.