One of my 2016 goals is to learn more about essential oils. So much so that I splurge and bought a kit together with a diffuser. Since I was a teenager, I have always used some form of essential oils. I love that how smell influence our feelings, and mood. I like the kind of warmness it brings to a room. While I am aware of the positive health benefits, I have not really investigate or study them. This year is the year. #self development
So with some peppermint essential oil on hand, I decided to experiment and use 1-2 drops in my peppermint slice rather than essence. My theory is that having real oils is probably more potent if not better than a possible artificially made essence? The result though was a yummy slice that is not over powering. While I’m not usually a peppermint person, I do find that less is more, before it crosses over the line from being refreshing to over powering.
One of my current things to do is to make a raw treat every few weeks and pop them in the freezer. On weeks that I’m extremely busy or when I just need a little treat at the end of the day, that is available. It is so much easier to pack this for Hubby’s snack box too- it usually thaw out a little by mid morning.
I’m learning how to allocate an afternoon a week when Asher naps to just sit and read. I’m still not overly great at this as I gravitate towards my work laptop or general packing things away. Friday afternoons though, I do find that I need to give my brain a little rest from multi tasking. My thing is to sit down with some form of reading material, berries and a cup of tea on hand. Perhaps sometimes with a mini treat like this slice. With the age of technology and multi tasking, that is a treat. Quietness and stillness. It may sound too simple but simplicity is what we need at times.
- 1 cup of mixed almonds and pecans
- 1/4 cup cacao powder
- 2 medjool dates soaked and pitted
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 2 tbsp water
- Peppermint Coconut
- 2.5 cups of mixed desiccated and shredded coconut
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 2 tbsp honey or rice malt
- 1-2 drops peppermint essential oils (I use doterra)
- Raw chocolate
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 cup coconut butter
- 1/4 cup of cacao powder
- 1 drop of peppermint EO (optional)
- Prepare 9 by 9 inch tin/tray with baking paper
- To make base: Place everything in food processor and blitz till they come together. Spoon and press into tin. Freeze.
- Peppermint: repeat for peppermint. Taste and adjust accordingly to your liking for sweetness. I suggest having just a drop of oil (less is more) first. Press on base and freeze.
- Raw Chocolate: Soften coconut butter by heating it up in microwave for 20-30seconds. Place everything in food processor. If you desire you can add another drop of peppermint to the chocolate. Pour or spoon to coat peppermint.
- Using a tray with baking paper, pour left over chocolate on it. Sprinkle with coconut, goji berries and cacao nibs. Freeze. Break into shards after 30 minutes.