It is not always fun and games though. There are things in life that we have to attend to regardless of how much fun is it to have fun with a toddler.
Yes, you will find me multi tasking on some mornings. Perhaps trying to encourage Asher to eat his breakfast while doing a batch up cook. You might even see me folding clothes while trying to have a conversation with my dad over FaceTime. In between, the oven might ring and I will rush to check one of our bakes or a meal that is cooking, while making sure Asher stays out of the way of the hot oven. The floor would need vacuuming and a mop. The toilets would be scrubbed and bed sheets changed. That, and it is not even 9am yet.
We have some mornings when Asher wakes bright and early at 5:30am, excited to face the day while I grudging wash up and get change.
These muffins were made during one of those mornings. I decided to make the most out of it with a toddler who clearly would not return back to bed and wanted to “play”. I gathered up some ingredients and allow him to “design his own muffin”.
- sweet potato
If you are wondering what I put on the table… In addition to the above, we had yogurt, feta, almonds and pistachios.
Not a bad combi I think. It could have been something like feta, apples and pistachios (come to think of it, it wouldn’t have been that odd either).
- 1.5 cups almond meal
- 1/2 cup of desiccated coconut
- 1 cup sweet potato steamed and chopped
- 1 carrot grated
- 1 apple chopped (reserve half for toppings)
- 1/4 cup of walnuts
- 1/2 tsp bicarb soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla paste
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup choice of milk
- 1/4 lemon juiced and zest
- Topping- reserved chopped apple, walnuts and almonds
- Preheat oven to 180 C and prepare baking cups.
- Whisk eggs, juice, milk and fold that into dry ingredients. Spoon into prepared cups and top with any toppings. Bake for 25-30 minutes.