I love cauliflower. I’m pretty amazed but what we can do with this vegetable. You can make it into a mash, enjoy it roasted with cumin seeds, transform it to a pizza base and now…we can have it in a cake form!
I’m really lucky that Asher is a great eater. Yes he has his moments where he does not like cheese and refuse to take yogurt if it is white (can anyone tell me what is that about?!?!). However, he does takes most vegetables and enjoys his meat.
I stumbled into this recipe from Epicurious. Some might call it a fancy cauliflower frittata I suppose. To me, it is a perfect one pot dish- protein and vegetables. All I needed to do was to serve it with some side salad for hubby and myself. That’s dinner done.
The addition of fresh herbs like basil takes it up a notch. I would have love to sprinkle a little chilli into it but then again, that’s me. I like spice in everything!
- 1 small cauliflower or 1/2 a huge one
- 6 eggs
- 2 tsp of cumin seeds
- 2 tsp of dried rosemary or you can use fresh ones
- 1 cup of basil leaves
- 1 tsp of turmeric powder
- 1/4 cup of coconut flower
- 1/4 cup of parmesan cheese (optional)
- 1 tsp of baking powder
- 1/2 lemon juiced and zest
- 1 red onion sliced in its ring.
- 1 tsp of sesame seeds
- Pre heat oven to 180C.
- Parboil cauliflower till it is almost cooked. You can also use the microwave for this.
- Line and prepare a 9 inch cake tin.
- In a separate bowl, whisk eggs. Then fold in all ingredients including cauliflower last. Spoon into prepared cake tin. Press onion rings on the top. Sprinkle sesame seeds on top. Bake for 45-50 minutes.